Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brimed03

Wall bracket problem

brimed03
13 years ago

My apartment came with a small kitchen and I'm trying to maximize available space. I would like to mount extra counter space above the side-by-side washer and dryer. They're front-loaders so there should be no impedance.

I need some help on what to use for mounting them. I would vastly prefer a wall-mount, as opposed to putting legs under the counter. Just a personal preference. Home Depot suggested using heavy-duty, 20-inch brackets, the triangular kind for extra support. Since these should be screwed into the studs, however, I can only do this on the ends that project beyond the machines; anywhere in between, the machines get in the way of the hypotenuse of the triangular brackets. The placement of the machines versus the wall studs is such that it is not possible to put a bracket between the machines. Of course, I can't just bracket the ends and leave the middle (approx. 3.5 feet) unsupported.

I had thought about getting 1" diameter stainless steel pipes, bent to a right angle. Bolted on one end into the wall, and on the other end into the underside of the counter, it should be strong enough to hold up the counter without sagging. However, I am not sure where I can get sections of pipe like that. Googling "buy bent pipe" has given mixed results.

Any thoughts, suggestions, leads would be appreciated.

Comments (3)