Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly973

Trimming the edge of my 1980s trim

Kelly973
9 years ago

I have a lot of wood trim in my 1980s house, around bookshelves, under my kitchen cabinets, over my bathroom cabinets that has an edge with a "wave" like cut. I've replaced the trim that I was able to remove easily. The other trim, I would like to just cut that edge off even. Overall the trim is about 3 inches wide and dips to 2 1/2 inches between the "waves" . I'd like to cut about 1/2 inch off of the wavy side making it just a straight 2 1/2 inches. Any suggestions on how to do this? And remember, I can't remove it from the cabinet, bookshelves, etc.

Comments (7)

• klem1
    9 years ago

Maybe,but it requires tools and skill. Do you own or have access to a table saw,hand held circular saw, router and various clamps? Most important,are you skilled in useing them?

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

i'm thinking a reciprocating saw, a sharp chisel , a hand plane and sand paper. more than anything else, you need lots of time and patience.
    draw your cut line and apply masking tape 1/8" above that line. use the saw to cut on the drawn line. you will no doubt have run close to the tape, and that's fine. use the chisel to cut away the wood next to the wall. use the hand plane, or better yet, a hand router to trim up to the tape, and sand the edge smooth.

• User
    9 years ago

Actually, there is a tool you can use. Stores carry it as do online sites(Amazon/etc.)

You will need a straight edge guide and some way to sand the results and a lot of time and patience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dremel Saw Max

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Clamp or screw a guide to the trim and use a saw - that Dremel wold be wonderful, with a jigsaw for the last inch.

The important part is to have the guide be REALLY, REALLY well-fastened to the trim so it doesn't shift.

And practice by putting a board vertically like that and see what it's like to saw sideways.

• Kelly973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a table saw and router. I've used the router a lot. I try to avoid the table saw, if possible. I purchased a VersaCut a couple of weeks ago for another project. It's very similar to the tool handymac mentioned above. Now, I just need to practice.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Since you arn't comfortable with the table saw and useing a handheld circular saw is even more challanging,I suggest going with the tool you have.

• sswinehart
    9 years ago

1. Take off all of the doors + bottom hinges from the face frames.

2. Get a panel ripping edge guide (like the All In One clamp/edge guide) that you can clamp to the face frames.

3. Clamp the straight edge guide in place on the face frames with the offset required for the cutting tool used and the amount of wood you want left on the bottom.

4. Make the major cut with your tool of choice against the straight edge - and then finish up the last 1-inch or so with a hand saw or something like a Fein multi-tool.