Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayhem69_gw

having trouble with Polyurethane on Shuffleboard

mayhem69
9 years ago

Hi, i stripped a 12' shuffleboard and decided to buy Minwax high build forumula oil based polyurethane clear gloss. I did use a sanding sealer and that went good.
I carefully applied first coat of this and bubbles everywhere. I sanded with 220 grit, applied second coat, along with lines and #;s same thing bubbles.
I was very careful, no i did not shake can!!
I dont understand why all the bubbles!!
I sanded again, after waiting 12 hrs. of drying in my dining room at about 65 degrees.
This time when sanding i hit a couple soft areas. So when i applied the next coat, it was clearly smudging.
I am so upset! it looks terrible.
I dont know what to do now, should i wait a couple days for it to dry and then sand again?
or start over and sand everything off?
there is about 5 different spots where you can clearly see it was soft and i musta sanded too hard.

Comments (6)

• handymac
    9 years ago

First, poly has a definite shelf life, the can you have sounds like it is too old. Go to Sherwin Williams, they own/sell Minwax products and you will be assured of getting fresh product.

Second, what applicator did you use? Foam brush is about the worst kind, followed by a roller. I tend to use a really good Purdy brush(4" is about $30.)

Third is application technique. Good new poly needs to be laid down fairly thinly with a minimum of brush strokes. Meaning three at the most with a final sweep all along the line to remove start points.

If the poly is too thick, you can look up how to make wiping poly and wipe it on. Be aware wiping poly is thinner and requires more coats. The coverage of three coats of brushed becomes six or seven coats of wipe on.

Get a stripper, trying to sand off the layers you have on now is a recipe for frustration, not to mention very expensive when you have to buy LOTS of sandpaper. Strip it off, sand when dry and do a final wipe down with a rag dampened in the thinner for the poly(paint thinner in your case)

• klem1
    9 years ago

I agree with handymac's instructions and will add. What appears to be bubbles is often trash in the finish. A few sources of trash are, 1 dust and lint floating in the air 2 dust and lint shedding off painter's hair and clothes 3 sanding dust left behind from prep work 4 useing a dirty brush 5 useing contaminated paint. Managing 1 2 & 3 are obivious,I will talk about 4 & 5 since they are mot so obivous. 90% of diy fail to properly clean brushes. Some use disposiable brushes but they do a poor job applying paint. Brushes have come a long way in recent years so buy the best synthetic you can afford and use it for both water base and oil paint. Handym reccomended 4" which is good if you are stronger and have better grip than average . Unless you work with your hands daily,a 4" brush is simply too heavy. 3" is best for most men and some women. The proper grip is with handle resting in web between thumb and index. 3/4ths of handle extends above hand with fingers and thumb griping ferrule. If 2" is the largest that feels comfortable,use it. Use a stainless steel and stiff plastic shop brush to clean you paint brush EVERY TIME YOU CLEAN IT. If the heel doesn;t come clean,alow brush to dry then soak it up to ferrule in brush cleaner following directions on container. A discarded retangular solvent can with top cut off conserves cleaner and allows precision placement in cleaner. Hang brush to dry and wrap bristles to keep it clean. The shipping package is perfect and waxed butcher paper is a close secound. If bristles are not soft when dry following varnish,thousands of brittle particals will break off into new finish and look like tiny bubbles. Such brush also deposits particals in can ruining varnish unless strained and filtered. Be aware of picking up trash on brush while painting non critical objects or useing brush for dusting chores.. Lightly drag your palm and finger tips across dry finish. If it doesn't feel similar to a bath tub/porcelian sink you make one or more mistakes.

• mayhem69
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks above for your comments. I was using a very good 3" Purdy brush for oil based, it was natural bristle.
    I cannot use Minwax again, sorry!! I am so mad about this, i already put in about 4 days work and now i probably have to sand off everything.
    What do you guys recommend for being the best Poly you can buy without bubbles? Also do i need to apply sanding sealer? the top is rock maple!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I used a mop brush for the first time this summer; I was applying oil varnish to a large dining table. The mop brush was incredible, laid the varnish on smoother than anything I have ever used. But you will always have dust nibs. I wet sanded (2000 grit) and rubbed out with pumice & oil for the final finish (which you can do with non-poly varnishes to great success).
    Casey

• mayhem69
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i think im going to skip the sanding sealer, i bought another quart of just regular Minwax clear gloss, hope that works better!

• handymac
    9 years ago

Did you buy the quart from the same place as the first one?