Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can crown molding be done for this room?

Posted by storyofmylife (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 22:50

Hi all

I'm looking for some guidance. Our house is in the final stages of construction and we are at the stage where the finish carpentry is being done. We like to put crown molding (5-1/4") in our dining room, consistent with the rest of the house. The carpenter took a look and said that doing crown would be tough because of one intersection (where the vaulted ceiling meets a flat ceiling from the hall). He recommended that we leave this room alone.

I wanted to see if anyone here can look at the photos and see if there is any way that a crown molding can be done for this room.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can crown molding be done for this room?

I suggest posting this in the remodeling forum.

5 1/4" is big for what could be done, such as putting a break or two in the moulding so it "returns" to the wall before reaching the opening(s). But there's are aesthetic concerns with doing that, too.

I suppose you could also consider running it over the opening and finishing the hallway side somehow, but that seems like it would be kind of odd, too.

o

..or you modify that hallway 1/2 arch to look like either a beam or a full arch that's low enough for the crown.

o

@Homebound - great suggestion on cross-posting in the Remodeling forum. I will do that.

I agree that 5-1/4" is too big due to the limited space between the ceiling and top of arch. The carpenter thought that something smaller would work over the arch.

Your comment about putting in a break to make it return to the wall before reaching the opening sparked some thoughts, and I'm going to explore it... Not sure how it would look, although I'm going to do search for inspiration pictures on houzz.

As a fyi - I've attached another picture that shows another view of that ceiling-wall intersection.

Thanks again!

o

There are two obstacles;
first that the horizontal run of crown cannot be simply mitered into the raking (sloped) run of crown. That's a problem with one or two solutions, both of which have disadvantages.
Secondly, there is really very little room above the arch or at the corners for the crown. Having the crown cut across the openings to the side hall(s) would look dippy. Solution for that would be to drop a header across the hallway, which would make it look nicer (IMO) even if you didn't use crown.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here