Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishead

making furniture

fishead
17 years ago

Hi all - kind of starting all over and am interested in making a lot of my own furniture (not in too much of a hurry), any ideas on some good books, websites, videos, designs, etc, for me?

Or maybe somebody out there has there own designs. Am pretty much in need of everything - first essential is a good bookshelf.

Thanks - Julia

Comments (7)

• adrander
    17 years ago

GO TO THE LOWE'S SITE FOR SOME PLANS. I FOUND IT WHILE SEARCHING FOR FREE PLANS. WOOD WORKER'S JOURNAL ALSO HAS A SITE THAT ONCE YOU SIGN UP WILL SEND MONTHLY FREE PLANS. OTHERWISE JUST USE YOUR SEARCH ENGINE.

• fishead
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll check out those sites - thanks for the ideas,
    Julia

• russmahogany
    17 years ago

Take a woodworking course at a junior college if possible. You need to learn the fundamentals and the correct way to uses the machinery and hand tools. I'm sure you will find other girls in the classes. Other than that, subscribe to Fine Woodworking magazine and order the woodworking book by Tage Fridge.

• jrice
    17 years ago

What are your woodworking skills and abilities? What kind of equipment do you have? Where do you intend to do the building, ie garage, basement, etc? These are serious questions for someone interested in building furniture. That is not to say you cannot do it but it will take a gret deal of time and patience as well. If you do not have any equipment that could lead to a considerable amount of cash as well, so be prepared. Woodworking is a skill that you can always continue to improve on. So if you have some experience, that is great, if not look forward to the journey.

As for patterns and designs, I would suggest a trip to your local furniture store. Just look around at all the pieces and find something you like. Look how it is constructed and think about how you would go about building something similar. Perhaps take a tape measure along (you can always pretend you are measuring for a particular spot in your home) and take a few measurments. Perhaps even a camera shot if the store employees don't care. Sometimes a brochure is available on a particular piece that you may take with you as well. If the item is not what you want exactly you can always change the size or design a little to suite your needs. Also home decor magazines are a great source for furniture items, however some imagination is necessary as they have no measurements and it is difficult to estimate some sizes. You can always measure your books for approximate shelf sizes for your book shelf and adjust accordingly.

Just some of my thoughts. Enjoy the journey.

• kmealy
    17 years ago

Subscribe to a magazine or two, preferably ones with varying degrees of difficulty in their projects. At one time or another, I've gotten them all, but my current favorite is Popular Woodworking. They also have a sister publication Woodworking, ad-free and mostly for beginners.

They have a free e-book that they update a few times a year. It's a good introduction. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/icandothat/

Other than that, wear out your library card and look for a local woodworking club that you can join and attend their meetings and classes.

Here is a link that might be useful: I can do that

• gmann32
    13 years ago

I am looking for a slide I can mount my bed on so I can pull it away from the wall. It would be almost like a track! thanks gerry

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"I am looking for a slide I can mount my bed on so I can pull it away from the wall."

Casters.