Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Best suggestion for repairing a repair?

Posted by rjinga (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 21:11

I puchased this neat old basin stand (not sure what's it real name is) but it holds a bowl and pitcher and as you can see has a mirror and a place for candles, it's missing the side handles that would hold the towels...

anyway, I just finished it with RAF and it really looks great, CEPT for that pesky little area that apparently has been repaired sometime in it's previous life and has come apart.

I'm guessing it was just a bad allignment and bad glue job, and HAD it been done with clamps etc to hold it in place, it probably would not have come apart. So now how can I remove it and redo it? without damaging it further?

I have tried to pull it together, but since it's glued to the one side, it's not budging.

Hopefully it's clear enough in this picture where the damage is


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Best suggestion for repairing a repair?

That's no repair, it is the original glue joint. If it is still sound, don't worry about it.

RE: Best suggestion for repairing a repair?

I think it is sound, but there is noticeable gap. would it be reasonable to fill the gap somehow with something? or would that mess it up?

RE: Best suggestion for repairing a repair?

It appears that the extra pieces on each edge are there to reduce the width requirement on the long side pieces, but fill in the radius. Whether or not the glue joint has failed and been repaired or is original is sort of irrelevant. Because of the width of the miter, it is likely to open and close seasonally as the wood expands and contracts with moisture change.

Depending upon the glue used, warm water or warm water with vinegar may soften it. But you will have a hard time getting it back together perfectly and an equally hard time clamping it into position. I'd be tempted to just leave it, based on the photos.

If you want to fill the gap, the quick and dirty solution is a wax stick.

Here is a link that might be useful: usign a wax stick

RE: Best suggestion for repairing a repair?

"If you want to fill the gap, the quick and dirty solution is a wax stick."

If the gap moves with humidity during the year, anything more permanent than a wax stick is likely to cause breakage in other locations as the wood swells and the crack is solidly filled.

At least the wax stick in the crack will be squeezed out if the joint closes with little chance of further damage.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here