Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobismyuncle

Bulletin board material?

bobismyuncle
16 years ago

I'd like to make a bulletin board for push pins and magnetic white board for Christmas gifts. I'm looking for something roughly 24"x30"

I am wondering whether fabric-wrapped celotex board would work OK for the push pins, or would it be too soft?

I am also scratching my head as to what material to use for the white board. Is there such a thing as melamine or enamel coated sheet steel? If so, where would I find it. I saw kitchen back splash material at Lowe's but it was aluminum.

Comments (5)

• raisedin99
    16 years ago

Turnabout is fair play, you answered my query and I felt I owe you one... have you given any thought to using HOMASOTE ? If you wish it can be covered with fabric to give a nicer appearance...

also as to the white board, I used a white bath paneling for my garage walls that doubles as a dry erase surface. it appears to be painted masonite...

raisedin99

• bobismyuncle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have used melamine covered Masonite for several white boards. Cheap enough at $10 a 4x8 sheet. However, I need to be able to attach magnets to it. A few years ago, I made a similar board for my church. The person that requested it done found a place to buy a flexible material that was magnetic and white board. It came rolled up and I applied it using a clay-based wall paper paste. However it was dreadfully expensive, something like $100 for the 4'x6' we needed. My next stop is an appliance parts store to see if they sell appliance panels, like dishwasher front inserts, for a reasonable price.

I will check out the Homasote, though. Thanks.

• izzie
    16 years ago

For the push pin boards, my mom made one using some left over suspended ceiling panels covered with fabric.

• bobismyuncle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I was looking at the homosote, then found some pieces of closed cell foam that I have around. I think we're going to wrap it in fabric and frame it.

• bobismyuncle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I gave the ceiling panel some more thought and decided to go with it. Stopped at Lowe's today and saw box after box labeled, "Sold by the Carton Only." Drat.

My wife had some time to kill between work and a meeting, so she stopped at Home Depot, where they had a whole pile of damaged ones, labeled 52 cents/sq.ft. She grabbed a nice one and when she went to check out, they hemmed and hawed, then said they could not sell her just one. So they gave it to her. (!)