I don't like the glossiness of Waterlox (medium) and
would like to do the linseed-oiled-rag-with-pumice over
it. I like that type of finish and it will dull
this Waterlox sheen (which by the way, came up
more streaky, a bit mottled, after the second
coat). The piece is an old sideboard.

Also, I didn't like how much the second coat darkened
the piece. I know I can't change that most likely,
but I would like to get rid of any and all glossiness.

T.I.A.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French finish over Waterlox?

You can't rub out a finish with pumice until you have formed a significantly thick film. After only two coats of waterlox, I very much doubt that it is so. The worst thing that could happen is that the pumice gets in the pores of the wood and never comes out, short of stripping it again.
Waterlox cures slower than varnish, and is IMO a poor candidate for rubbing out any way; it is on the soft side when fully cured.
Maybe try rubbing out with a gray 3-m pad instead.
I prefer a felt block for rubbing anyway, except on curves and turnings. It helps you get even pressure.
Rottenstone + oil gives a finer cut, and less chance of burning through. It's safer while learning and getting a feel for how much you can rub.
Casey

o
RE: French finish over Waterlox?

Casey, thanks for the gray3-M, rottenstone alternative. I just have to ditch that glossy look. I can't bear to add any more waterlox. It seems each layer changes(darkens) the color ALOT.

I also researched another finish alternative: 0000 steel wool + baby oil (I assume mineral oil is the active ingredient). It seems non-messy. What do you think
about the effectivenss of that?

I will do a test on the side...

Crispy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here