Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

How do I make baseboards work with this vanity?

weedyacres
16 years ago

We purchased a furniture-style vanity with ball feet. It came with a counter and sink, and the whole thing is designed to fit flush to the wall, like so.

The problem: The feet don't leave space for the baseboards to go behind the vanity. With a normal vanity, you'd just push it against the wall and end the baseboard there, but if you did this, and knelt down on the floor, you could see the bottom of the sheetrock, which looks pretty tacky. Here's the view-from-the-floor (with no baseboards yet):

How do I make this all look nice and finished but keep the vanity flush to the wall?

Comments (10)

• bobismyuncle
    16 years ago

looks like the feet will screw off. With luck you can move them forward 3/4" - 1" or so and run the baseboard behind them.

• handymac
    16 years ago

Install the baseboard, slide the vanity against the baseboard. Mark where the round part of the foot touches the baseboard. Use a Dremel and cut out a circular hole just large enouigh to make room for the foot to fit in the hole. You could use a little spackle to fill in any gaps.

Or, cut off the outside of the feet to allow room for the base molding.

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

Move the feet.
    And tell whomever built the thing they are as dumb as a post for not having the top hang over at the back far enough.

• handymac
    16 years ago

Well, gee, it obviusly was not designed for setting flush in a corner in the first place---since most vanities/sinks are not in a corner----

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

"Well, gee, it obviusly was not designed for setting flush in a corner in the first place---since most vanities/sinks are not in a corner----"

It is not even designed to sit flush to a wall with any baseboard.
    A rather common location for vanities and sinks and a baseboard is pretty common to cover the wall floor joint.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    16 years ago

handymac: we didn't need it flush in the corner, just against the back wall.

We ended up shaving the back of the feet off 1/2", and then trimming the baseboard to go under the vanity and around the vanity trim on the sides. My DH did the honors, and it came out nicely.

• handymac
    16 years ago

My apologiesd---I saw a situation that was not there. (code for I'm sometimes full of it).

Sorry if I caused any BP problems.

• Axelworks
    13 years ago

I know this was a long time ago - but do you have a piture of the finished product - i'm running into the same issue w/my remodel - i'm surprised this isn't addressed anywhere on the web.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"The feet have not only a screw hole, but also a little inset they go into..."

If this is a machine screw thread type insert they are not hard to find or install.