Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
main beam in old house has dry rot

Posted by rustfixer (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 17:43

have to shore up the main beam in this old house i'm looking at to buy. i was thinking of two 2x10's on either side of existing beam screwed and glued together and installed tight against old beam but not attacted to it. then 4 jack posts to distribute the wieght. any coments on that method?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: main beam in old house has dry rot

My comment: Get an engineer who is familiar with the loads and materials.

Or, because you are not the owner, make an offer contingent on the owner fixing the problem.

o

"4 jack posts to distribute the wieght"

Careful of overloading the floor. Even a concrete slab may crack. It is not a foundation footing.

This is the sort of job a person better know what they're doing without question. You need to have that person present to do the job.

It can be quite a trick to fit a new beam into an existing space, without taking out some wall(s).

o

Before trying to repair the beam you need to address the source of the moisture that led to the beam rotting.

It is rarely simple as adding new wood and posts, the posts need a suitable e bearing surface at the floor.

A 3 inch thick slab is NOT adequate (think more like 8-10 inches of footer over a couple square feet depending ion soil type).

It is pretty common to erect temporary supports and then remove and replace the existing beam (with enough load spreading from large timbers the slab can take the loads short term, but you need railroad tie sizes timbers in some cases).

It is NOT a job for the inexperienced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here