Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cairnqueen

How to Ensure a Durable Finish on Kitchen Cabinets

cairnqueen
13 years ago

I've been lurking and think you all are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. The folks on the Kitchen and Paint forums suggested that I cross-post this on the Woodworking forum.

I am getting ready to start a kitchen remodel. I've looked at Home Depot cabinets, but believe I'm going with custom cabinets. The cabinet maker I like does not finish cabinets and has said that most painters can also finish cabinets.

Five years ago, my mother built a house with custom cabinets. The finish is peeling and the cabinets look years older than they are. I want to make sure that my cabinets hold up better than hers. I don't want to make a sizable investment in the cabinets and then have them ruined by a poor staining/finishing job.

What types of questions should I ask the painter, cabinet finisher? Are there special products or techniques that should be used? Any input on what type of finish to use over the stain? Any thoughts on how best to find someone who has the skills and talent to make my cabinets beautiful and durable?

I'm considering cherry cabinets with a natural finish or oak cabinets with a cinnamon stain color.

Any help or feedback you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)