Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hints for changing drum sander abrasive

Posted by blueberrier1 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 7, 08 at 16:51

Have a Performax 22-44 Plus Drum Sander. Does a fine job. The original strip snapped off at the inboard end-due to wear. Have tried for too long to replace the precut abrasive strip this weekend and not succeeding.

Directions say to inset the outboard end first...which I did. The inboard side has a different configuration of the holding clip-only seen with a small mirror. Am unable to get it to grip the abrasive's tip.

Anyone with a solution ? Will try to reach advice from mfg tomorrow. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hints for changing drum sander abrasive

I have that same sander and was supplied an odd shaped tool that's designed to help you hold the clip open when changing belts. I've never used it, though, I usually just hold the clip open with my finger. It's a tight fit, but I have small hands, so it's doable.

When I'm changing the belt, I usually start with the right end first. I trim the end of the paper, then stick it into the clip. Pull it tight, and then start wrapping the paper around the drum, keeping it tight and aligned properly. When you get to the end, cut the paper a little longer than needed, maybe 2" longer. Then make a mark on the paper where the drum ends, so you'll know where to start trimming. At the clipped end, make another mark, roughly an inch away from the edge, so you're forming the "tab" that will fit into the clip. Now test fit the paper onto the drum. It will probably overhang the drum a bit... you'll have to trim it again. Keep trimming it until it fits nicely, and make sure that your "tab" will fit into the clip. I think it needs to be about 3/4" wide at the tip end.

Make sure the belt is wrapped properly, and then stick that last tab end into the clip. When you release it, it pulls the paper tight.

I usually sand a piece of wood through the drum a few times, the paper will stretch a bit. Re-tighten it and you should be fine.

BTW - I recently met a fellow woodworker who swears by the purple abrasive paper, I think it's made by 3M. He said it's more expensive, but lasts 10 times longer. The next time I buy paper, I'll probably try that stuff, as I hate changing the paper on these sanders. It's a pain!

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: My woodworking blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here