Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This sheet goods?

Posted by hgluckman (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 4, 09 at 15:57

We are planning on getting a SubZero BI36R to replace our existing 19 year old Sub Zeo Refigerator/Freeser (we'll have a separate freezer elsewhere). We're looking at the full overlay paneled model, and I have downloaded all of the pertinant information on the specifications.
The panels are specified as a 1/4" backer panel which fits inside a frame, a 0.10" spacer panel to be flush with the outside of the frame, and finally the finish panels which are to be 5/8"-3/4" thick.

My questions is on the backer and space panels. I don't know where to get any material that is 0.10" thick, in the necessary size ( roughly 36 x 68 inches). While I understand that they can be made from a single piece of material, and shapped per the specs, I've never seen a 0.35" sheet either. You could, I guess, find a 3/8 sheet (0.375) and take off 0.025, but that seems like a lot of work too. Has anyone run into this? I'll be asking the appliance dealer if Sub Zero can supply this, but I'm guessing not.

We haven't picked a cabinet maker yet, but I've gotten some eye rolls when describing this requirement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This sheet goods?

I make my door inserts as two pieces.

One piece is the "show panel", usually 3/4" thick, it's the door that you actually see. The assembled stiles, rails, raised panels, etc. All painted or stained up purdy.

The second set of pieces I make combine the .10" spacer and the .25" panel in one. I usually rip roughly 2" to 3" wide strips of 3/4" poplar on my table saw. I'll rip a 3/4" thick poplar board to say about 3" wide. I then reset the fence to just a tad under 3/8", flip the board up on edge, and run it through so I now have ~3/8" shy thick by 3" wide strips of poplar.

Now I rest the fence to 1/4" from the blade and raise the blade to about 5/16" high. I then run the strips through. This will waste away something like a rabbet, roughly .10" by 5/16".

This poplar strip now serves as both my .10" shim and my .25" thick backer panel. I attach them to the back of my door panel, around the perimeter of the panel.

Hope it makes sense.

Mongo

o
RE: This sheet goods?

Yes, that makes a lot of sense! I see how I could do that, or a modification of it (I'm actually makig my "show panels" out of six different pieces) for my project.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here