Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing tung oil finish?

Posted by moore4fam_al (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 27, 09 at 13:46

About 30 years ago, I purchased and finished an 'unpainted' oak table. At the time, I stained it an american oak color and finished it w/ about 20 coats of handrubbed tung oil...yes, really..about 20 coats. It was a Formby product, and I'm almost positive it was a 'tung oil finish'..not pure tung oil, so it was likely a varnish. It is my dining room table that is only used infrequently and still has good water repellant quality. Now I want a darker finish..and I'm wondering how hard it would be to remove this finish? a good sanding? messy strippers? Ain't gonna happen? I can afford a new table if I have too..but still like the style and functionally of this one... I don't want to ruin it, and would prefer to pass it on to relatives if this is gonna be really difficult...any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing tung oil finish?

Formby's Tung Oil Finish is a thinned (wiping) varnish. No tung oil. You can use a "stripper" to get it off. Sanding is not a good strategy -- it is terribly inefficient and will remove the finish unevenly, causing innumerable problems trying to get new color and finish on it.

Pick out a good methylene chloride stripper (the heaviest can will have the highest percentage of MC). Use plenty of ventilation, keep things warm, and let the stripper have time to do its job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here