Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinish Issue - Mother of Pearl Inlays

Posted by gpraceman (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 13:24

I got a decent oak pool table off of Craig's List and wanted to refinish it. Currently, it has several scratches and some magic marker on it. The rails have mother of pearl inlay dots. Do I need to mask or otherwise protect the inlays from the stain or will they repel the stain naturally?

I was looking to do a light sanding and then apply a gel stain. However, I will wipe off the excess stain. I've had good results refinishing an oak cabinet in that manner. It darkened the wood just enough and left the wood grain visible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinish Issue - Mother of Pearl Inlays

I suggest addressing the inlay then masking it off before starting the wood. The compisition of the inlay is uncertain but can be handled the same regardless. If the inlay suits you as is,just mask off until refinish is complete. If you would like it to be brighter,machine buff with polishing compound then hand buff with finesse-it or simlar. If inlay has scratches that can be seen by naked eye,buff with buffing compound before polishing compound. Mask inlay and chemicaly clean wood (esp near inlay) before sanding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here