Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahoov2

Can a novice pick up and use a router?

dahoov2
9 years ago

Hi there; I am fairly crafty and my hubby has done things like cut pieces for crown molding, making a door frame, making a wall with 2x4's... and building cornice boxes. We are slightly handy but not wood workers by any means. My question is, how hard is it to use a router?

I want to route a 12' long piece of butcher block. I will not be going around corners for that one, but I was thinking of making a new top for a cheaper table we have. I love the gorgeous legs, but the top of the coffee table has some laminate or something on it and it's chipping at the edges. I was thinking we might be able to create a matching top; where we would go around the edges.

In addition to that, I want to make two coat hanger boards with hooks on them. If I don't put a piece of crown on there, I'd like to router all the way around the wood.

So can someone do routing fairly easy without training? May be a stupid question but on the butcher block, that would be costly to mess up. The rest I have no problem, I can get new 1x4's etc.

Thanks

Comments (15)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I'm assuming you just want to round the edges? With a hand-held router?

Bits designed for rounding edges have a little revolving guide that keeps the blade at the right distance from the rounded edge. With a guide to keep the router running straight along the edge, and the router depth set to make a tidy roundover, it's not difficult.

{{gwi:2137978}}

Buy a few 2x4s, eye and ear protection, and practice.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

it's important to keep the router plate flat and at 90 degrees to the top at all times. oh, and yes, use both hands. i hope i didn't insult your intelligence.

• handymac
    9 years ago

Remember your basic physics. For every action---an equal and opposite reaction.

The spinning bit(about 12,000 rpm) creates a force against the wood. Moving the router in the direction of rotation of the bit allows the user to control the machine more easily that the opposite---which is called a 'climb cut' and can jerk the router out of the users hand if the user is not prepared.

Get a basic router book and some test wood---and you will need a way to secure the wood being routed with a hand held router.

• chas045
    9 years ago

The folks above covered the basic ideas but they didn't actually answer your question. The answer is Yes, you can easily learn how to handle a router without making a hash of things. But you Must practice on some scrap wood first. Going around corners is actually very easy. The bigger issue is accidently tilting the router. I would suggest that you scrounge up a pile of scraps with no nails or other metal in it and practice. You will probably feel very comfortable quite soon.

It would be good to remember that that spinning exposed blade could quickly chew up exposed hands, arms, feet etc. and that comfort is no reason to skip caution.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'll reread this and I got a small piece of butcher block from another project and I've got some 2x4's I can practice on. I just didn't want to go buy a router and then not be able to use it. My intelligence isn't insulted. I'm not a power tool user really. I can use a staple gun and electric drill and screwdriver. That's my extent! I've used like electric/gas hedge trimmers but I've not built anything myself. This will be a first. But I gotta try!!!! ;) Holding it flat and going the direction of the rotation is helpful to know. I do appreciate it! I'll be doing this project after the holidays. Maybe I'll post it when I do it if it comes out!

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Every single person who ever used a router once picked it up and gave it a shot for the first time. It's the only way.

Practice on scrap wood is highly recommended. As is making sure your work piece can't move while you're working on it.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

One more thing. A corner can be approached in perhaps three different ways, from not even being able to reach it in an inside approach to cutting the vertical part of an outside corner or not cutting it and leaving it square.

Like they say, practice on scrap. In a way all routers are the same, from a Ryobi throwaway to one powered by a 12 cylinder Messerschmidt engine, so with your first cut to the thousandth, it's all about control.

Oh, even if you plan to throw it away after using it on bricks, never never ever buy a cheap router bit. No way. No how.

• PRO
    Precision Carpentry
    9 years ago

I agree with all the info above.Especially buying good cutters .They don't have to be the best but a decent quality.
    Something nobody mentioned is not making the full depth of the cut in one pass.This is critical if going around corners and being new to routers .Set the depth at 1'8" to start.Get a feel for it and then take off another 1'8" on a pass until you get the feel for it.
    Also pay attention to the runout of the grain of the wood.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great stuff. I didn't even think about the corners... so that's great to consider. I don't want to spend a whole lot on a router though. I don't see me become a furniture maker or using it very much. I'm older and just want to try a couple things. But I'll make sure I research them before buying and try to get a decent one.

I'll try all methods eventually and see how it goes. I guess I can do it, Like you said above, everyone picked it up for the first time sometime!

• mike_kaiser_gw
    9 years ago

There's some good videos on router use from Norm Abram (The New Yankee Workshop) on YouTube.

How To Use A Router - Part 1

How To Use A Router - Part 2

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Cheap routers are frustrating and noisy, and can be more dangerous than higher quality models.
    Always use hearing and eye protection anyway. Watch the videos, I'm sure Norm will show the proper way to change bits.
    I have a Porter Cable 690 for my small/lightweight router, and it is very capable. You would do better to find a decent used router on CL than run out and buy a brand new cheap router at the big box. Plus, the used one may come with bits and some advice. Make sure it has the wrenches, though.
    Casey

• handymac
    9 years ago

If you wind up buying a router, look first at Skil or Ryobi brands.

That Porter Cable 690 series Casey mentioned is the grandfather of all routers. I have two of them in a dual base(fixed and plunge) set.

The gotcha with routers is the size of the bit they are designed to use. 1/4" and 1/2" shank(the round stem of a bit) are the common sizes. The 1/2" are safer for heavy routing. 1/4" shank bits are fine for light edge work.

The cheaper routers are generally built for the 1/4" shank bits. They will be advertised as having a 1/4" collet(the part of the router in which the bit is clamped).

More expensive designs(like the 690 series) have both 1/4" and 1/2" collets.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Yes, the 690 will take 1/2" bits, and 1/2" bits are better balanced unde heavy cutting loads, but you really should not put big 1/2" bits in a medium-duty router like that, if only because the startup is so potentially harmful to the motor. For a big bit you need a soft-start electronic speed control thingie. My huge Festool router is for the big bits.
    Of course this is far afield from the original question, but if you happened to spot a big router second hand somewhere, they can actually be safer than smaller ones because the added mass dampens the vibrations, and the soft start it very reassuring and takes the shock out of startup.
    Casey

• JAAune
    9 years ago

For a neophyte, I highly recommend good router bits with anti-kickback wings. I've linked an article explaining how they work.

http://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/router-bits/what-are-anti-kickback-router-bits/

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

If you're balancing cost with use, pick up a (good) used router on CL or ebay, then resell it when you're done.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler