Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lightening the dark stain on wood cieling

Posted by angiebyte (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 12:25

Hello,

Thank you in advance for reading and any advice you can give.

We are purchasing a home that has a beautiful wood cieling and some wood walls. the cieling goes up into an inverted 'v' if that makes sense.

Someone at some point has stained it a very dark brown, and it makes the whole living room look dark. We want to stain it a lighter color but using a stripper or solvent to remove the old stain / varnish is going to be impossible on such a large scale.

We contacted a sandblaster and he didn't think sandblasting it off would be realistic.

We thought of painting over it but would lose the wood grain.

Have you any thoughts or suggestions of getting this wood to a lighter color? If it isnt really possible economically to do so, what color would you paint it? Gloss white?

The house was built in 1958.

thank you !
angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lightening the dark stain on wood cieling

There is nothing of which I know that will be sensible to use to lighten a wood ceiling in place.

That means painting. Or installing something over the present material. There are a lot of materials that can be installed on ceilings. Tongue and groove wood/faux wood, tiles, all kinds of stuff.

Do a little research before making up your minds.

o

Agree. I've yet to find a "dark eraser."

o

A lot of sandpaper. And a scraper for the v-grooves, if any.
And a lot of time standing on scaffolding. And some liniment for your stiff neck.
Link to the sander I use for big jobs. With the hepa-filter vac it's a virtually dust-free job.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Festool sander/vacuum set

o

thanks guys! Looks like I will be buying some LAMPS! Im not into all that sanding! And hubbies not sure painting it would adhere.

o
RE: Lightening the dark stain on wood ceiling

Clean with detergent and water, and prime with a shellac-based primer (e.g., B-I-N) and you should be fine to go with paint.

o

How about using one of the "white-wash stains" or a semi-transparent stain in a lighter color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here