Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonoak

Where can I get this molding?

bostonoak
9 years ago

I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to get the molding in the photo below. I've already checked Home Depot and Lowes but they don't have it.

I'm dealing with so many issues at the moment, it's not even funny.

I hope a kind soul can lead me to the right place!

{{gwi:2137976}}

Comments (10)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Is that a two-piece? (plain skirting with a cap molding) If it is, the you use a suitable 1x material for the base (which may have to be ripped down to match the old width) and just worry about matching the cap molding. It does not look like the currently-available ogee cap molding on my screen. The thing to do is to remove a piece, get the paint off it, and trace the profile, and with the utmost care measure the height and thickness, then take the piece to your lumberyard, and failing that, go online and look for places that sell molding and look for the matching profiles. Some merchants have online catalogs of moldings running into hundreds of pages with thousands of profiles. But they are organized by types, and you will be looking at base caps, or panel moldings, or perhaps rakes or bed moldings.
    Casey

• klem1
    9 years ago

At least 2 pieces,possibly 3.

• bostonoak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sombreuil_mongrel & klem1,

I think it's a 2 piece. In any case, my main concern is to get the top part. Thanks for your help. I'm going to keep looking.

• handymac
    9 years ago

There are brick and mortar millwork companies as well as internet shippers that stock moldings and will ship them. Shipping costs are high, but when you need a specific item, it may be worth the cost.

• bostonoak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just by posting my original post I found out that my molding was actually two pieces (thanks to the folks here).

Then I found out from some kind people that the term for what I was looking for is actually "base molding cap."

After continuing with my intense googling, I've come across some online catalogs that have molding caps that at least seem somewhat similar to what I'm looking for. For example, look at the caps numbered CMK 401 & CMK 404 in this link:

http://www.customouldingknives.com/sitebuilder/images/CMK-401---CMK-416-552x691.jpg

The trick is trying to figure out the measurements given and determining whether they can fit the baseboards that I already have.

I'm making slow progress. Bear with me!

• sloyder
    9 years ago

You can try Baird Brothers, that looks like the baseboard and moulding are one piece. BB sells that baseboard.

I believe it is this one. 5/8" x 5-1/2" Poplar Tall Single Ripple Baseboard - B208

Here is a link that might be useful: baseboard

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Would WM163 or 164 be what your looking for by chance?

Here is a link that might be useful: Consolidated Lumber

• bostonoak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sloyd & millworkman,

You don't know how grateful I am to both of you. I think sloyd's molding is almost identical to what I have in my home. millworkman's is also quite close but my molding cap is rounded at the top and bottom while his is sloped.

Right now, unless I get something else that's even closer, sloyd's will be the one I go with. I'm still looking around, just in case I get even luckier.

Thanks a lot, folks.

• stanlie_gw
    9 years ago

In most houses the same trim is usually installed through out the whole house. The trim inside your closets is a great place to borrow from to repair damage. Its usually pristine. Replace the borrowed trim with the damaged trim. No body checks the closet.

• PRO
    Altare Design, LLC
    9 years ago

Here's another possible source. I just learned about this company and haven't had a chance to buy anything from them yet.

http://woodgrid.com/

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz