Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissatucker

What General Finishes Top Coat is best for Gel Stain ?

melissatucker
10 years ago

I have applied 3 coats of General Finishes Java Gel Stain to my kitchen cabinets and am now having a hard time figuring out what the best top coat choice is ? I have been researching for hours and simply cannot figure out the different between General Finishes:

1. Arm R Seal.
    2. High Performance Clear
    3. Endurovar
    4. Polyacrylic water based top coat.

I am terrified that I will choose the wrong top coat finish and ruin the work I have already done ( which to date has sucked up weeks of my life : )

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments (7)

• klem1
    10 years ago

Honestly,I can't emagine anything that could be said which might tempt you to ignore instructions printed on the stain container and firsthand advice from the manufacture. My dear grandmother would say "you are just being a little worrywart".

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I used the gel clear topcoat - three coats, wiped on thinly. But I also wiped on the gel stain thinly. And had about a week dry time between coats because of my schedule.

I agree with the manufacturer's rep ... the second most common cause of FAIL in finishing is insufficient drying time between coats.

(Most common is lack of surface prep)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I used Arm R Seal, and because I was progressing SOOOOO slowly, had plenty of time between coats. So, far it has held up beautifully.
    You may want to post your advice in the decorating and/or kitchen forum because that's where this gets dissussed frequently.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    10 years ago

I've used General Finishes products for years and have been very pleased with the results. I'm with Klem, listen to the folks that make the product!

• steenbean18
    10 years ago

I have tried both the gel top coat an Arm-r-seal. I used the gel top coat on bathroom cabinets and was happy with it. But...after using arm-r-seal on a dresser top, I very much preferred the look and found it to be much easier to apply. I will use arm-r-seal every time now!

• melissatucker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for all of your input/help. I went with Arm R Seal and actually now have a new problem/question. I let them dry for over a week and put on 1 coat of the Arm R Seal ... let that coat dry for 3 days ...put on a 2nd coat.... let the 2nd coat dry for 3 days and then started to sand SUPER LIGHTLY with 400 grit and MY STAIN CAME OFF IN SOME AREAS !! I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Help please : ) Not sure if you can see the missing stain spots in this photo ...but also do you see how much stain came off on my sand paper !?! I used no pressure at all with the 400 grit just rubbed as lightly as I could over the surface 3-4 times.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks