Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpaulgal

How much water-based poly is too much?

StPaulGal
10 years ago

Hi all,

I am a total amateur and I could use some help from someone who knows what they are doing.

I am restoring an old factory/railroad cart, and I have finally arrived at the finishing stage. I chose a water-based poly for ease of cleanup and crystal clear coating. My question is this: how many coats is too many?

The instructions suggest 3 coats, but the internet seems to have a massive amount of variation with regard to how many coats are optimal. I have read everything from "should not need more than two" to "water-based versions could require as many as 10 or 20."

I think I would prefer about 5 coats, because the surface of the wood is very uneven and I would like to mitigate that a bit with my finish. (I don't want to sand it smooth because the beauty of the piece, in my opinion, are the pits/scuffs/burn marks from a hundred years of industrial use. But I also want a surface that feels smooth and silky.) However, the last thing I want is a cloudy mess.

So long story short: how much water-based poly is too much?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (11)

• klem1
    10 years ago

Too much is any more than it says on the can to use. Why are you trying an end around on the people that made your finish? You can read the net until you are blind and never find better directions than those furnished by the manufacture.

• StPaulGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am certainly not trying to do an end run around the manufacturer. I am just trying to understand the significance of their suggestion to use three coats. Does that mean "at least three" or "never more than three" or "always exactly three" or something entirely different.

• StPaulGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your helpful response!

I am using Varathane Water-Based Interior Polyurethane in a gloss finish and I am brushing it on. I have done 2 coats at this point, and I waited about 6 hours between coats. (The can said at least 2, but not more than 2 per 24 hours). I plan on adding one more coat tonight. With the additional information I have given, can anyone suggest whether 4 coats total would be okay? Or should I stick with 3?

Thanks again!

• klem1
    10 years ago

When useing for an application the manufacture approves the product for use on,if they don't say otherwise,it means exactly. Some products say until finish drys to an even gloss plus one coat. Some give other guides but all will give you guidance one way or another. The most common cause of failure is using product for unapproved applications without consulting mfgrs desk. Normaly any coats additional do nothing for performance but often make it pron to cracking,chipping and aligatoring. If your finish does'nt specifily state for outdoor use,call # on container first,if it says it;s suitable,3 coats it is. Don't overlook dry time between coats and wherther to sand between.

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

In addition to the above, each manufacturer will have recommended "wet-mil" (thickness in 0.001" when applied) and / or "dry-mil"(thickness of dried coat(s)) recommendations.

In general, too thick an application can lead to problems like
    - looking plasticky
    - rounding over pores of ring-porous woods like oak, ash, etc. Your distressed piece may also look funny with too much finish rounding over the dents and dings.
    - prone to chipping
    - incorrect curing (most acrylic (w/b) finishes need about 3 weeks to fully cure by coalescence of molecules of finish) Dry to the touch does not mean fully cured.

That said, I normally apply 3 or 4 coats by spraying.

Your project, a RR cart, should not have a thick, glossy finish, that is more appropriate for a highly formal piece like a Chippendale dining set.

• StPaulGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help! I applied the third coat last night, and I will stop there. I appreciate everyone who took the time to answer my question.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Be sure to give it time to cure. I used 6 coats on a desktop recently, and, although it felt very dry, I was cautioned to wait at least two weeks before using it.

• martinblueluca
    6 years ago

I USED MINWAXES WATER BORN POLYCRYLIC. I BUILD A DINING RM TABLE MULTIBLE WOOD COLORS. SAME REASON U DID i LIKED HOW IT LOOKED AFTER 3 COATES. I FIGURED 1 MORE COAT WOULD MAKE IT PERFECT LEVEL AND EVEN A DEEPER FINISH. SAYS RIGHT ON THE DIRECTIONS NO MORE THAN 3 RECCOMENDED. BUT I GOT GREEDY AND TURNED IT INTO A AIR BUBBLE FINISH. NOW IM SANDING WAY DOWN TO GET ALL THE BUBBLES. MINWAY GUY SAID PUT THE AEROSAL SPRAY THIS TIME AS THE FINAL COAT AND NOT MUCH. I USED GLOSS FINISH-MAY BE A PROBLEM.

• PRO
    Woodworking Clarity
    2 years ago

Five and six coats of water-based polyurethane to reach its optimum properties. For a less durable surface, three or four coats of waterbased poly will create an adequate finish – but sacrificing some smoothness and clarity in your finish.

• klem1
    2 years ago

I can't think of an application where more than 3 coats will improve performance. If abreasion is expected to wear through the top layer,a 2 part finish should be considered. From an appearace standpoint,grain filler will yield far seperior appearance than additional top coats. IMO water base finish isn't the best choice for walnut,red oak and a few others but to each his own.