Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatotomata

Novice with cheap wood needs advice!

tomatotomata
14 years ago

I have an inexpensive unfinished bookcase made of some sort of (most likely) cheap wood, maybe a combination of woods. I'd like to improve the look. I'm not trying to make it look like mahogany; I just want it to look as good as it can. I'd like to stain it, but I'm afraid it won't take the stain evenly. Maybe just varnish/oil/shellac/??? Any suggestions for material or procedure will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

You haven't given us much to go on. Can you post a photo? Even then, it may be hard to predict how an unknown wood prepared to an unknown state is going to react to an unnamed stain.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Go to a paint store and have them recommend a two part finish consisting of a sealing coat and then a stain. A seal coat will help the wood to accept stain evenly, and will help even-out the appearance if you have different species of wood. If you just apply a one-coat stain or a clear finish it will amplify the differences in appearance if you are dealing with different species of wood. .

• rjinga
    14 years ago

I'm guessing you are still trying to figure out what to do with the bookcase you posted on earlier?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wood/msg12191503632.html?4