Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
waterproof interior varnish?

Posted by ark-lux (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 11 at 11:20

There is a strip of quartersawn white oak on the backsplash behind my kitchen sink. It was sealed, stained, and finished with a clear finish but I'm noticing that water has penetrated the finish. I would like to refinish with something more waterproof - any suggestions for a good waterproof interior varnish?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: waterproof interior varnish?

Enough coats of polyurethane should provide enough protection.

o

I'd probably use Waterlox.

Here is a link that might be useful: finish and moisture

o

Actually, the problem may be that only the front was finished and the back and bottom of the wood was not finished. Finishing just the front---especially without repairing the obvious damage will do little good.

o

"Actually, the problem may be that only the front was finished and the back and bottom of the wood was not finished. "

A distinct possibility.

While no finish stops water vapor, they only slow its movement it is possible to stop liquid water pretty well.

Small section pieces (especially) need to be finished on all side if they might be exposed to water more than accidentally.

If water enters from the unfinished sides it can easily try to escape past the finish, and in many cases till simply force the finish off the surface and produces cracks in the finish film.

The cracks then allow water to enter from the finished side and continue forcing the finish off the wood.

I routinely finish all sides of even quarter round or should molding used in kitchens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here