Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

Patterns from circa 1890/1900?

Were patterns used for furniture by working class people just trying to furnish their homes?

I recently inherited a wooden porch swing that was built by my great grandfather sometime before the late 1890's. We don't know the exact date but we do know that it came with them from Virginia through the Pound Gap to Kentucky in 1897.

The thing is- my ancestors were fairly poor farmers and this swing is so well built. The slats of the seat are arranged in a gentle curve to fit the back of your legs, the back is slanted perfectly, the whole thing is balanced and just immaculately built.
I know there was more pride in workmanship back in the day (for many people) but I can't fathom a layperson designing this swing.

And it has been through the mill- covered wagon transport, floods, decades of storage in soggy outbuildings- it was even traded for work done after the flood of '57... and searched for for months to get it back when my grandmother asked where it was.
Is it unusual for items of this age to hold up so well?
It is is such good condition!

Mainly wondering about how designs were come up with back then- any thoughts you might have or historical sites you can point me to are appreciated.
Mainly I just wanted to brag about my cool swing :)

Comments (2)