Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for repairing this water damage wood?

Posted by rjinga (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 10:49

The plan is to strip, sand and paint and add new hardware to this old cabinet, it's nothing special, but I'd like to fix it up.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this water damamged side area? I thought maybe some wide molding on both ends? I realize that will change the look of it and it would lose the curved sides, but maybe that's not overall a big deal? And would it be worth the effort to replace this backing where there is a small hole or just try to patch it somehow and paint over it?

I guess while we are at it, any thoughts on the drawer that has a chunk missing? can this be fixed somehow too? (by a novice, with lots of time on her hands and some basic power tools??
thanks for looking

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for repairing this water damage wood?

Ok, well thanks anyways, I'll figure it out on my own.

o

Sorry I didn't hop-to fast enough. Some fixes are rather problematic, and require rumination.
I'd flip the piece upside-down, and flood the de-laminated plies of veneer with a glue (like liquid epoxy) and clamp the area with wax-paper against the glue-soaked surface. There will need to be 1x3 (or so) clamping blocks used to get a straight edge on the repair. Two screw clamps will suffice if the blocks are used. When it dries, unclamp, take away the blocks, peel off the wax paper and it can be sanded and prepped for paint.
Casey

o

wow, well that advice was well worth the wait ;) I'll definitely give that a whirl. Thank you very much!! (and sorry, I didn't mean to sound impatient in my comment before).

o

I should clarify this: the 1x3 (or whatever) straightedge clamping blocks have to sandwich the repair from both sides. Otherwise only one side will dry straight and uniform. Am I captain obvious or what?
Good luck.
Casey

o

As long as you are going to paint, you can also fill the defects with Bondo and sand after it cures. I would suggest following Casey's advice about gluing back down first and use Bondo for any subsequent problems.

The back is up to you. Normally, it won't be seen and I'd be tempted to patch or leave it. You can easily replace the back panel with some 1/4" plywood, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here