Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Fein Multimaster

CEFreeman
12 years ago

Hi all!

I have this wonderful tool. It's very versatile, but I am fairly confident I'm using the wrong blades for whatever job I'm doing.

I need to cut down some of that ventilated metal shelving. I was hoping someone could help me with the blades. I believe I should be using the second blade down, which is item 6 35 02 106 01 5. It's also one that came with my kit. I might be second guessing myself, but don't want to screw up my little machine. The shelving? Who really cares?

If there is another I should be using, I'd appreciate the advice. The blade package didn't come with any "use this on ...." instructions.

Thanks,

Christine

Comments (11)

• User
    12 years ago

According to the video's, the HSS circular saw blade is the proper blade.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I watched the videos, but the pictures weren't clear as to whether or not the blade was the same.

Thank you, though.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

When you say "ventilated metal shelving" what exactly are you talking about? The Rubbermaid, Closet Maid (and other brands) of shelving commonly used in closets and steel wire and looks like this:

I'd use either a E-cut universal blade or HSS circular saw blade.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's it. A little different configuration, but the same thing.

I have E-cuts, but not the circular.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have to go to HD this weekend, anyway. They carry Fein.

I appreciate it!
    Christine

• Jon1270
    12 years ago

Why are you using a saw instead of a screwdriver?

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I realize it's hard to determine someone's tone of voice or intention online, but you're kidding , aren't you?

How would I "cut down" with a screwdriver?

I went to Home Depot last night, who is supposed to carry Fein products. Well, not this HD, but they did have a universal adapter and an E-cut specifically for metal. I wanted to get the round kind, since I thought it would probably be easier to handle, but today? I'm gonna E-cut myself some shelving.

I'll have the first closet in my house where I can hang a coat in 6 years.

YEAH!
    Thanks, all!
    Christine

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"How would I "cut down" with a screwdriver? "

Are you trying to alter the size of the shelf or cut it down off the wall?

"cut down" is ambiguous here.

A pair of small bolt cutters would be faster and safer than trying to cut such small diameters with a power tool.

Clamping for a power tool or even a hacksaw is going to be more trouble than it is worth.

This is not heavy enough to bother using power equipment, and you only need to make four cuts.
    You will need a very fine blade to cut metal that small, 32 teeth per inch would be good.
    Anything coarser is going to grab the material badly and be hard to guide or push (for a hacksaw).

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Point made.
    I should have said "reduce the length of the shelving."

If I have bolt cutters, I don't know it. They could be one of the many, many things I have in a container marked "weird cutting things."

I do have a hack saw and from experience know it's not that hard. It just takes FOREVER to get thru.
    I have my Multimaster and have even discovered I have the round blade that should cut thru it pretty easily.

I've gotten pretty good with cinder blocks out on the front porch. They'll hold down a lot, even without me standing on the material.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I do have a hack saw and from experience know it's not that hard. It just takes FOREVER to get thru."

Sounds like dull blades.

Hack saw blades do not last all that long before dulling.

The general rule is that you need at least 3 teeth in contact with the material in the kerf.
    Any less than that and the blade tends to bounce as it cuts and dulls even faster.

It creates a problem wit round shapes.
    Getting started always has less then 3 teeth, and puts excess wear on the blade.

Creating a starting notch with a triangular file helps.

I have cut wire closet shelves with a hack saw (and a 32 tooth per inch blade) and it only takes about 20 seconds per cut for the ~1/4 inch width wise strength members.
    Bolt cutters (even a small 12-14 inch one) go through it like butter.
    The mechanical advantage of the bolt cutters makes it easy.

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

bolt cutter

Here is a link that might be useful: cheap ones

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The (new) hack saw I have did the trick.
    It took me a while, but it's done.

Thank you for the suggestions.
    There's more than one way to skin a rat.