Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know how to turn logs into posts for gazebo?

Posted by gottagarden (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 27, 10 at 9:49

Hi, I usually live in the gardening forums and am new to woodworking - thanks!

We want to build a gazebo using ash logs. We have acres of tall straight ash trees that we can cut in matching sizes. (and I fear they are eventually doomed anyway because of emerald ash borer)

My husband is experienced at both logging and woodworking. He has used raw lumber and planed it for projects, but this time we would like the look of "logs" rather than lumber. here are some sample photos of the log look we would like, although not exactly either design.

From 2010 Misc

From 2010 Misc

How do you remove the bark?
How and how long do you dry the logs?
What do you use to seal it?
How often does it need to be resealed?
Other considerations?

I have done a web search and come up with very little, so I was hoping someone here might have some experience.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know how to turn logs into posts for gazebo?

The bark on these is usually removed by a high-pressure water blast. You could peel it off by hand.

You don't need to dry the logs - they will crack and shrink no matter what you do to them.

Seal them with whatever you use to seal other outdoor wood with.

The trick is to keep the end of the logs dry - mount them on a bolt sticking out of the gazebo base, or modify a pole plate to fit into the base of the lof. That prevents base rot.

o

As I recall, ash is not a particularly good 'outside wood.'
It has low decay resistance and can be prone to beetles while still in the green state.

Here is a link that might be useful: comparative decay resistance

o

Thanks for the replies.

o

You can buy a tool that will form a round tenon on the ends of the members, which simplifies joinery somewhat but gives a specific look. I am not certain what the largest size of tenon cutter is, but at least 3" dia.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here