Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Can this door be repaired?

weedyacres
9 years ago

We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door was in the basement. I'm wondering if it's repairable. It will be stripped and re-painted.

Wide shot:
{{gwi:2137959}}

Close-up of panel trim coming off. Not sure what it will look like once the layers of paint are removed. Is it likely the trim can be re-brad nailed into the door body?
{{gwi:2137960}}

Close-up of gunch in the inset veneer. It's not showing on the other side. Can it be fixed? Or sanded down and patched?
{{gwi:2137961}}

Comments (15)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

If the groove the panel sits in has not been busted out, the first can be fixed.

The second one - I don't know what a "gunch" is. But until you strip it, you have no idea what you will find under there.

• klem1
    9 years ago

The fact you are asking after holding it in your hand indicates you may be in over your head but yes it can be fixed.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A gunch is our made-up word for a defect/deformation. In this case, I'm referring to the pointy thing on the lower right of the panel that looks like damaged/buckled veneer or something.

Klem, I'm not afraid to take on just about anything. Well, except sanding drywall. :-) It's just that I've never looked closely at the construction of a solid door like this, and the paint pretty much obscures its construction. It seems like it's repairable, but I don't want to go through the hassle of stripping the dang thing down if I'm not going to be able to fix it.

I appreciate both your reads on this, so I'll be hunkering down with my heat gun this weekend to see what I can do.

This post was edited by weedyacres on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 14:54

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

If you are going to be using a heat gun on the door, be sure you have the correct respirator since it probably has lead paint.

• klem1
    9 years ago

You should also be aware that hide glue releases at high tempature. That can be a good thing if disassembly is desired. It's sometimes better to disassemble valuable furniture and put it all back togeather if two or three joints are already loose or certain pieces need replaced..

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So should I instead go with a chemical stripper? That's what I did with the last door, but I've read others saying a heat gun works faster.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, got the door mostly stripped down yesterday. I discovered a new problem. Here's a shot of the lower edge of the bottom panel.

{{gwi:2137962}}

The trim around the panels is supposed to be like this:
    {{gwi:2137963}}

But instead, it's all gunched up. Destroyed.
    {{gwi:2137964}}

Suggestions for getting the trim profile back? My initial thoughts are to fill it in with wood putty and "carve" the profile back into it with sandpaper. It wouldn't be perfect, but this isn't a perfect house. Other ideas?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Slice it out and replace it with molding?

• furnone
    9 years ago

Buy a cheap router bit with the desired profile, grind the guide pin off and clamp or screw a straightedge to guide the router base against.

• klem1
    9 years ago

"I discovered a new problem. Here's a shot of the lower edge of the bottom panel."

I'm not seeing the new problem but it's no suprise since the doctor said I was " looking bad"and shoild take better care of my self.
    As for restoring the trim,grind the profile into a piece of metal and use it similar to a card scraper. Chanches are removing soffened paint with the scraper will restore trim profile. I buy handsaws from garage sales to build scrapers. After Arthur Ride-us ruined my hands I started welding old screwdrivers on as handles. Grinding during construction will leave enough bur to cut fairly well and should last through this project. If it quits cutting resharpen with a Dremal.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lazy: any suggestions where I can find a strip of molding to fit? Router it myself, I assume?

which brings me to:
    furnone: cheap router bit? LOL! I think it's a classic roman ogee profile, and it's $40 on Rocker. A bit hard to justify on a $50 (replacement cost at a salvage yard) door. Though I haven't checked my bit collection. Perhaps I have one....

klem: the problem is hard to photograph, but the ogee profile is gone and then some. So it needs some build-up to get it back to where it should be.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Ok,I was looking for something wrong with the "panel". If the trim is pretty much just gone,a thin (think easier to shape) version of my scraper used to apply and shape putty would save a lot of sanding to shape. If you don't have an ogee bit perhaps you could barrow one off the store shelf long enough to trace profile onto a piece of cardboard to use as pattern for scraper.
    I tried waving you off this earlier but you told me "Klem, I'm not afraid to take on just about anything". Well I'm holding you to your word. LOL
    Seriously,this is how one hones skills so that when time comes,they are experienced. The satisfaction of knowing you can do it is somthing a friend can't give and daddy can't buy you.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Nice method!

I may steal that idea.

• Bob Ice
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing I think i should use this idea in my next .