Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountdgal

Box Newel Column Design

mountdgal
9 years ago

Hi all... I need your help designing a column for my staircase. I originally bought a standard box newel post but realized that my current column was structural so I have to now design an 8' column with a look similar to the box newel post. I've come up with two concepts. Please let me know which you like. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Option 2

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my staircase

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Staircase photo 2

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

8" square column with sharp molding corners projecting is not a good neighbor for a stair. If you could make it octagonal there would be no sharp corners. The 8" box measures 11.31" diagonally, and that's huge difference from an octagon, which an 8" side to side yields a corner to corner of only 8.65.

Casey

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi there.. Thank you for your response! The 8' I was referring to was the height.. not the width. I was originally going to replace my current column with a standard 4 1/2' newel post but now I need to build a column instead because I found out my current column is holding up the house. The intention of my thread is to get advice on which design you guys prefer. I apologize for not being clear. The question is should I make the width of the wood above the trim narrower than the width of the wood below? FYI.. I am going for this look (but as a column instead of a post).

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, my contractor will be building it using a 4x4. I would like it to have a chunky look (not builders grade). What should the dimensions of the base and top be? Also since the column will be sticking out a bit in front, should i cut the stair back so the column can be flush with the stair like the photo above?

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

i like the tapered look myself, not so clunky. more importantly though. unless that 4x4 was cured and then milled, making the column from a solid piece of lumber is a bad idea. they tend to warp and develop seasonal cracks and splits.it's the nature of the beast. and that's the reason almost all columns are made from joined wood. i could be wrong (first time today) but you should ask an experienced wood worker.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Wow, I really messed up when I misread the 8ft for 8 inches.
    Here's another idea to eliminate pointy molding corners, which I still see as a disadvantage since the post goes to head and shoulder height: Make a square fluted column with chamfered or beaded corners The only mitered moldings would be at the base (and your tall base to meet up with the box stringer is perfectly acceptable) and at the top/ceiling line as a capital.
    Casey

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida