Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which (loctite) construction adhesives for mounting trims?

Posted by ciac (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 3:44

Hi There:

I'm trying to use adhesive to mount base and door trims in my bathroom. I have bought a tube of "loctite powergrab for moulding and paneling" which as it states, were meant specifically for trim mounting and drywalls. However, there's another tube of Loctite PowerGrab multipurpose that also claims to be good for trims and drywalls in its description. Anyone may know the difference?

The wall of the bathroom isn't straight. On one of the walls the trim goes on with quite a bit of difficulty, and had to be pressed down hard for bracing. I have been gluing the trim, bracing it, and driving finishing nails after the glue dries and with braces still on. What is the product that people use for strong holding power so that the trim won't pop out under abuse or pressure?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which (loctite) construction adhesives for mounting trims?

I would suggest just nailing your trim. While construction adhesive works, it makes it a lot harder for the next guy if the moulding needs to be replaced.

For that piece on the curved wall, make what are called "kerf cuts" across the back of the moulding. They're parallel cuts made with a saw placed about 1/4" to 3/8" apart. Obviously you want to be careful not to damage the finished side of the moulding. Those will allow the moulding to bend.

While not the best picture, should give you some idea what I'm talking about:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here