Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TransTint recipe to approximate Minwax Red Mahogany?

Posted by pbrisjar (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 21, 08 at 2:41

So I know Minwax stains are not the best product for floors. However, I love the look of their Red Mahogany (in the oil-based stain). Our plan (as of now) is to use TransTint dyes with a linseed/tung oil/pine resin/citrus solvent combo (probably Land Ark's stuff). Problem is, we've tested out several of the TransTint dyes and none of them are really working. We haven't tried their red mahogany as that's just too red looking in the sample. Their brown mahogany clashes terribly with our cabinets (Ash stained with Minwax cherry). I'm thinking combining the Walnut with some Cordovan would do the trick but Hubby thinks that's a bad idea.

What I want? A deep, rich brown with purply red undertones.

The dark spot in this pic is the color I want:

From Kitchen

The floors are white oak.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TransTint recipe to approximate Minwax Red Mahogany?

Start with brown mahogany and add pure red drop by drop until it matches. Make sure first that you are only a little lighter in tone than you want, because the pure red will really only redden the color, not make the overall value darker, if you follow me. The brown mahogany has black and orange dye in it; the amount of black sets the darkness value for the stain. You need to establish that at the beginning. Trial and error lies ahead for you on your quest.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here