Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
noob table saw question

Posted by gigelus2k13 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 1:05

Hello,

What is the proper way of feeding a plank when ripping at an angle? IOW, if my saw is leaning to the left (dewalt 7480), do I place the fence on the left or on the right of the blade?

A friend of mine needs a 7 degrees rip into a 1x3 oak plank (i.e. 7* from vertical when the plank sits on the narrow side). It's a very shallow cut and he previously has used a planer for the job, but we're hoping that a table saw is faster and more accurate.

We're just not sure if cutting so that the base is wider than the top will create kickback.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: noob table saw question

You don't want to make a trapping cut against the fence. IOW, the top of the blade should be tipping away from the fence. And you should always cut with the workpiece against the fence, not the drop-off. It's important to plan out unusual cuts carefully with these basic rules in mind. They are not inviolate, but at least you can be mentally prepared when using the saw outside them.
Casey

o

Fence _board_ blade slanting away from fence_cutoff piece is the lineup.

:=====/= The part between the fence and blade can easily pop up if it jams, and the waste piece has an escape route

:=====\= Doing it this way catches the board between fence and blade. Bad idea.

If he does this often, buying a router bit with the slant he needs would be faster and more accurate.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-4941-bevel-trim-router-bits-3-flute.aspx sells various bevels

o

All valid suggestions: also - a joiner would not be less accurate than a table saw given you use it properly, and would leave a truly straight surface.The problem with the saw is that you can force a piece through the cut, and create a 7 degrees on a bowed plank.Joiner not only will make the angle: it'll also leave a straight edge.Back to table saw,remember: anytime a cut seems dangerous it probably is.Like the previous posters pointed out, avoid the situation where the saw would pinch the piece into the fence thus creating kickback.If the piece is small use a proper pusher, some saws have one when you buy, if not copy an existing push stick so it will push and press down the piece at the same time.Don't just use whatever wood lays around for pushing. I once saw a very experienced woodworker who would push anything of smaller size with two push sticks. When asked about it he said that push-sticks are disposable, fingers are not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here