Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing modified Particle board cabinetry

Posted by poorowner (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 14, 08 at 23:56

If you made modifications into the sink cabinet that is made of melamine over particle board, what is the best way to seal off the exposed edges?

I would go to my default choice of letting the edges soak in as many coats of polyuethane as it needs.

What about wood filler? Minwax high performance and maybe clean the edges again with a router?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing modified Particle board cabinetry

Will the cut edges show?

The cut edges will also easily absorb water and cause swelling of the particle board.

Multiple coats of poly can cerate a decent seal if water cannot sit on the surface.
It will not look as good as a real suruface though.

Minwax wood filler is a pale brown color, and would create a smoother surface, but would still need some type of top finish for protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here