Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restaining a windowsill

Posted by Cindyloo123 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 23:55

Hello woodworkers! I usually post on the decorating forum but I am currently doing something that requires your expertise.

I have a bow picture window. After 25 years, the polyurethane and then the stain, cracked and got bleached by the sun. I need to redo just the sill. Last night I sanded it with a machine, and the parts that were already worn were down to bare wood right away. But the majority of it still has the old stain and poly.

I REALLY don't want to have to hand sand all of the edges etc. to get the whole thing down to bare wood. I was going consider the "prep" over and stain over it all, but I'm afraid I'll get such an uneven look it will be a disaster.

What are my options? Thank you for any suggestions at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restaining a windowsill

Using a stripper is less likely to result in sanding damage.

Sanding is not a good way to remove a finish.

o

The two best options for removing the finish are chemical or heat. Mechanical, which is what you've done, is definitely a third choice except for one attribute: it's accessible and controlable, even by a novice, and of course that's why you've chosen it. But it is labour-intensive and easily damages wood.

Chemical encompasses an enormous variety of options these days, which you can explore on this forum or on Old Houses by doing a search for "stripper" I would guess. Heat can be a heat gun ($75 or so, or you may already have one) or infrared, circa $500. The degree to which you affect adjacent surfaces may be a consideration with both chemical and heat - perhaps you can remove the window casing to avoid damaging it?

A final option is to not remove the old finish. But then you cannot stain, because stain needs to penetrate the wood. Instead, in this case you would have to paint something OVER the old finish - clear or otherwise.

Karin L

o

Thank you both for the information. Not sure which way I'll go, but I'll be doing either the stripper or the heat.

o

If it were me, I'd probably scrape off the vernish, then sand it smooth. Strippers are very hard to control in limited confines.
Casey

o

Casey's right - it is a perfect application for scraping.
The last time I suggested scraping it was pointed out that the finish might be too hard for a scraper, but the risk of damaging the casing with other methods makes that less of a concern.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here