Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to deepen my baseboards and doors.

Posted by dazzlemewithcolor (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 22:42

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. We have wood trim work throughout the house. It is not a grainy oak or wood with a high grain. The grain is visible but you can't feel it when you run your hands over it. It does not seem to have a varnish or shellac finish. There is no shine. To me, it looks simply stained. I would like to darken the stain a little. I do not want to use gel stains as I know that gives more of a paint like finish. I like being able to see the knots and grain, just want to darken it. I also like the finish on it as it is...no glossy shellac look.

I was thinking maybe glazing, but don't want the antique look. Can I just stain over it with stain?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to deepen my baseboards and doors.

Despite what you may read on yellow cans that say "Wood Finish," a stain is not meant to be a final finish. If it has pigment in it, it has just enough binder (oil, varnish, lacquer or acrylic) to hold the pigment in place.

First, I would wet rag with mineral spirits and wipe it over an area. This will simulate what adding a finish will do. Finish generally darkens and intensifies the color in a stain.

If this is pleasing you can simply top coat with a satin varnish or oil-varnish blend (aka Danish Oil, antique oil, etc.) You can also get tinted danish oils that will darken the color.

The problem with oil only or oil-varnish blends is that in a few years they tend to oxidize and dull. But it's simple enough to freshen up by cleaning and re-applying a new coat of the same. (This also may be what is on there now). Oil-varnish blends tend to be "in the wood" finishes and have a low luster (sheen) and minimal film build. You apply them, let sit for a few minutes and wipe off all the excess before it starts to get tacky. The actual time will vary based on ambient conditions and the relative proportions of oil and varnish.

Gel stains should not look "painted" if you do them right.

So there's some options. But remember the first rule of finishing : run some trials on scrap (or an obscure area) before starting your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: oil and oil-varnish finishes

o
RE: Want to deepen my baseboards and doors.

bobsmyuncle, Thanks for the reply and the great information. I will certainly look into the satin varnish or oil-varnish blend products. That sounds like it may just do what I would like. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here