Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lethargobuild

Staining Unfinished Rubberwood Cabinets; HELP!

lethargo
14 years ago

Cross-posting here-hoping for some quick results! *Crossing fingers*

I need to have 2 cabinets, plus various trim, stained and laquered by Wed. morning for install. I have a little under a quart of stain-so NONE to waste. I have NO experience staining, but am wanting to get as close to professional as I can in this short time in my garage. Can someone give me a quick step-by-step Staining for Dummies, considering these are rubberwood cabinets?

Thanks so much!

Comments (3)

• User
    14 years ago

" I have NO experience staining, but am wanting to get as close to professional as I can in this short time in my garage."

The only way you have a chance is to rub on the stain. Which may need 24 hours to dry before hand sanding, cleaning of dust and first of at least three coats of lacquer, each coat of which needs to be sanded lightly before recoating.

And, since this is now Tuesday morning, and we have no idea what kind of stain you are using, I doubt your venture will be successful.

Staining/finishing wood takes as long in some cases as building the piece.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Handymac- I think you misread my post... I'm asking for help.

I have put on two coats of stain, and am hoping I can paint a coat of laquer shortly. I will hopefully be able to, at the very least, get the cabinet bases stained with a coat of lacquer before install. I need the bases in place tomorrow, but I guess the rest of the pieces (doors, trim, etc) can be properly stained and laquered and just installed when they're finished.

Questions... Should I have treated (conditioned) my wood before staining? My cabinets are not very shiny, they have a very natural finish. I'm afraid by painting the lacquer (as opposed to spraying-as was done by the factory to the existing cabs) I'll get a thicker finish. Should I do a test area?

• aidan_m
    14 years ago

I think I misread your post also. I thought you were asking for a miracle.

Stain needs to be completely dry brfore lacquering. When I worked in Tucson, AZ, I could stain and spray 3 coats of lacquer, with sanding between coats, all in a single work day. The reason this was possible is the extremely dry warm desert climate. You are at a disadvantage because you have no experience, and won't know intuitively how dry the previous coat needs to be before you proceed. You will ruin the finish if you rush it too much.

A good rule of thumb is if the finish makes dust when sanded- this is properly dry. If the finish gums when sanding- it is still drying and you need to wait longer.