Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Renew 1920's woodwork

Posted by lsoh (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 24, 09 at 22:10

I purchased a 1920's home. Original windows and trim. The wood finish has naturally blackened with age. No problem there. But some areas are dull. It looks like the entire finish is gone in other areas. It would take years to strip and refinish. Any suggestions on how to freshen up this wood work? I'm not expecting perfection, just hoping for improvement.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Renew 1920's woodwork

There is a high probability that a 1920's home was finished with shellac (unless refinished or more finished added over the years). Clean first with Dawn and water. Shellac is easy to re-amalgamate with denatured alcohol, then apply a fresh coat of shellac (I recommend buying a can of Zinsser Seal-Coat).

There is a possibility it has a varnish on it. Denatured alcohol will not dissolve it, but will help clean it a bit. You could also use the shellac over the varnish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow this link to >Classroom > shellac > repairing shellac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here