Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Oak Stain Issue

Posted by jgoodish (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 21:33

My house is 5-6 years old, and the trim (base, casings, and jambs) are all red oak, stained with Minwax Cherry #235, and then coated with poly. I have a couple casings that are not coated with poly, but are stained (in the unfinished basement.) I would now like to install a shoe along the base, and have purchased red oak shoe and stained it with the same Minwax color that was used on the original trim. The problem is that the color is slightly off--the existing trim has an orange hue to it (even the stuff without poly on it), and the new stuff does not. I'm trying to figure out whether the orange hue is a result of aging of the stained wood, UV exposure, etc. I've read about similar "orange hue" issues with red oak before, but never heard any explanation. Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out whether my new shoe will acquire the same type of hue over time and better match the existing base--it's close now, except that the new stuff doesn't have the orange cast to it.

Thanks,
JKG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Oak Stain Issue

The orange hue---or "that warm amber glow" is usually caused by finishing with oil based finishes---varnish or polyurethane.

Wood is stained for color and needs to be finished with a protectant like varnish, poly, lacquer, or shellac.

Easiest way for you to get the effect you want is to buy a quart of orange shellac(look at the 'Born on' date on the bottom of the can, since shelf life of mixed shellac is about three years) and put a coat of that on the shoe.

That should get you the orange hue you want.

o
RE: Red Oak Stain Issue

Thanks. I concluded that the orange (or amber) shellac was probably a reasonable solution. I don't necessarily WANT the orange hue, but the shellac does make the shoe blend in a bit more with the existing trim. I certainly don't want to pull all of the existing trim off to refinish it.

Thanks,
JKG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here