Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Construction of Plank Stair Treads

Posted by DSilver (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 21:23

I am in the midst of a basement remodel and would like to install plank stair treads that are approx. 48"x 2". I think oak will be the most suitable species. From pictures I have seen most treads look like one solid plank (they are not the rustic plank type - they are finished, stained etc). I am not a woodworker, but need to understand what type of construction would be best for this type of installation (stairs down to basement 7 total, butted up on one side to wall, other side open). I would like the look of one solid piece - what would be a reason to rip pieces of oak and glue vs. use one solid piece?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Construction of Plank Stair Treads

what would be a reason to rip pieces of oak and glue vs. use one solid piece?

I can think of a couple:
- ability to find stock in the proper width (at all or without a lot of waste)
- less chance of warping.

I'm not a builder, but the wood I buy is random length and width. If you can find dimension stock, it will have less waste but higher cost.

o

Go to a lumber yard, they will have stair treads of the appropriate size in two lengths.

Most of those treads will be made up of at least two pieces of wood. Reason, it is less expensive to make a tread from two more narrow pieces than one single piece.

o

The reason to fab them would be to insert the truss rod to keep the 48" treads from sagging/springing.
Casey

o

Are you planning on building these stairs yourself? A stair builder would have access to the correct material and tools to build these more efficiently and correctly as stairs are not the easiest DIY project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here