Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Production Finish (dirt problem)

Posted by robwood (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 21:07

I have a challenge with dirt particles on large flat production surfaces. Although the industry has specification for an acceptable amount of dirt particles in a finish (usually 1-2). I can not seem to get an acceptable finish. I am using a Catalyzed Lacquer, I have been sanding the entire surface just to repair a few imperfections. I am using a semi gloss sheen. Buffing, to date has been out of the question since it typiclly increase sheen levels. My question is, is there a way to do spot repairs on CL successfully?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Production Finish (dirt problem)

Do you think that you should look into why your geting the dust / dirt ?
What is your spray room like ? Do you clean it often ?

Do you have "dust bunnies" hanging from the ceiling of your spray room.

What about the type of ventilation ? Is the fan strong enough to suck out the dust in the air ?

Are you using an air hose to blow the dust off prior to each coat of finish ? ( Assuming that your cutting between coats)

Can you do a "spot" repair ? Do you mean after your all finished and it's no longer in your shop ?
If it's still in my shop and I find dust or what have you . I would cut it and spray another final coat.
If your talking about doing it on site, it's much more involved and in my opinion will never look as good . Also the fact that it's a semi gloos doesn't help the situation. The higher the sheen the harder to do a repair or touch up.

I would work on why your getting the dust and try to eliminate it from the start.Then ya don't have to worry about touch ups.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here