Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidielou_gw

Matching oiled butcherblock color

maidielou
13 years ago

My new island has a butcherblock countertop that I have treated with mineral oil. I have unfinished maple legs from Osbornewood.com that are about the same color as the butcherblock before I oiled it, but now are lighter. I tried oiling the legs on the hidden side ... let's just say it doesn't work the same way as with butcherblock! Oh drat. In trying to include a link, I just realized I purchased soft maple, which is not stain-grade, instead of hard maple. Any suggestions for a stain or other treatment on the soft maple to achieve the same color as the oiled butcherblock? Do I need to return these for the hard maple?

Comments (3)

• someone2010
    13 years ago

I think the two colors will blend together after a time. One's patina more advanced than the other, but it will catch up. If your butcher block is real butcherblock (the top is end grain) then the color will always be different.
    Other than that, you could order some water soluble analine dye and mix the powder in warm water. Make it a weak mix. Strain it through a coffee filter and spray on a light coat with a old household cleaner spray bottle. Make sure it's a weak solution. Wipe it off with a immediately. Let it dry. After it's dry, if you want to darken it, spray on another coat. Keep spraying and wiping until you get the color you want. Be sure to start out with a weak solution. It will get darker with each application if need be.
    It would be a good idea to try this on a piece of scrap first.

• werefinish.com
    13 years ago

I know someone2010 is trying to help, but please don't use Analine dye in this situation. Is it possible to get the desired results using dye...yes it is. However, It's also even more likely to get the color wrong and cause a problem that will be very hard to reverse. Dyes penetrate deep and accent the grain. Get it wrong and you will have a mess on your hands. Oil does not penetrate in the same manner, nor does it raise the grain like the water based dye will (causing deeper penetration), so you will have conflicting looks even if you get very lucky and get the color right.
    The safest way to tint those legs would be to use an aerosol toner. I have NO affiliation with these guys, but Wood finishers depot sells the toner you need and its a strait forward safe fix. I attached the link, use classic maple and you should get a close match. Practice on the inside of the leg, or better yet a scrap piece of maple it you have it.
    Apply lightly, holding the can 12" away or more and "mist" on the toner. you can always apply more to make it darker, so it's smart to go slow.
    Follow up with a clear coat (flat) if you choose and you should be all set. The toner is a finish, so the clear coat is for added protection, but not a "must".

Here is a link that might be useful: wood finishers depot

• someone2010
    13 years ago

Which ever method you use, dye or toner, it's a good idea to get a large piece of soft maple (something like 6in x 24in) and practice. Then you can decide the method that works best for you. Do not use plywood as a practice board.
    Let us know.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz