Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painted cabinet finishes?

Posted by gunter (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 20:26

I need to know whether factory painted cabinet finishes are more durable than what a local custom cabinetmaker can
produce. I've heard that the big cab companies have a baked on finish whereas the local cabinetmaker can't but would use an acrylic paint--which is very durable, right?
Does it make a difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painted cabinet finishes?

I would always say what comes from the factory is a better finish.
This is especially true for wood floors.
You really need to speak to your cabinet maker and find out what his finishing abilities are. Ask for refrences and speak to people who have had his cabinets in their home for a few years.
Sometimes the big companies are sloppy and the quality control sucks because they really are more about quantity than quality. A small operation you would like to think has the ability to better scrutinize their product.
After all, your going to blame him directly if there is a problem.
With the big companies, the rep just blames it on the company and whipes his hands of the problem.

o

I would bet on the larger manufacturers who mostly use a conversion varnish that is resistant to moisture and most household chemicals and abrasion.

Most larger manufacturers adhere to the specifications required by the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association (ANSI/KCMA A161.1-1995). They have the equipment to produce a high quality, multi-step finish that many smaller shops just don't have the equipment or space to duplicate. I would research what material the custom shop is using and find out how it stacks up against the big guys. Most major manufacturers have information on their websites.

Here is a link to info on Kraftmaid's finishes. I recently installed a Kraftmaid kitchen in an ivory glaze finish. There were a couple of minor finish defects, 2 doors and the side of one upper cabinet. They sent a replacement cabinet and the doors and didn't even request return of the defective units, no questions asked.

Many small shops would be less accommodating, I know from experience. And then, some small shops would be every bit as responsive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraftmaid finishes

o

While the above responses are true, they are not without a cost. Many of these advanced finishes will not take anything over the top of of them. What that means is that repair or repainting may not be possible. Stripping and refinishing may also be difficult or impossible.

o

Thank you for your comments--it give me something to think about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here