Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unfinished and finished pine floors

Posted by mcspeck (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 20, 09 at 20:20

I am putting in a new kitchen and when I took out the old cupboards found that the pine flooring underneath had not been finished. The new cupboards are going to be a different size so I somehow have to match up the unfinished pine flooring to the (recently refinished), seasoned, yellow pine flooring around it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that - should I use a stain? yellow dye? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unfinished and finished pine floors

The never-finished wood is going to be lots darker than the recently-refinished floor. It's chancy to try to bleach the old wood lighter. You can't achieve lightening with a lighter stain; you can only add color with stain, not take it away. If you try a bleach, you can still stain everything later should it fail.
Casey

o
RE: Unfinished and finished pine floors

Use whatever finish system was used on the rest of the floor. However, the fact that the unfinished wood was exposed to room air and little light will probably make the result a little noticeable but acceptable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here