Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing stains from finished wood

Posted by dll969 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 20:18

I have a really nice elm bookcase. I put my laptop on it, and the little rubber feet on the laptop seem to have stained the surface of the bookcase. The stain seems to have penetrated through the stain of the bookcase. I've tried several different cleaners on it, but have had no luck removing the stain. Does anyone know of something I can use to remove the stain, or will I have to refinish the top of the bookcase? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing stains from finished wood

Chemicals in the little plastic feet that keep it soft and flexible can get into the finish doing the same thing. This is known as "plasticizer migration." Sometimes, it can add dark color, and sometimes, it just eats it away, down to bare wood. You can try some light abrasion like 0000 wool. You might also try "stain remover cloths" that you can find at paint stores or in furniture care departments. Guardsman and Jasco both make these. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can touch up the damage and sometimes, it needs to be stripped off. There is no pat answer, you just have to try and see what works or what doesn't.

o
RE: Removing stains from finished wood

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll try to find the products you mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here