Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novice just asking--anything to tone down a 'cherry' finish?

Posted by kaisermust (kaisermust@aol.com) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 19:38

Bought a couple of knocked-down end tables online to go with our 20 yr old walnut bedroom set because we now have the room for real end tables next to the bed. Description said cherry walnut so I took a chance and ordered them. Opened the box and they're more cherry than walnut. Is there any product I can apply to the finish to tone the redness down? Serious woodworkers, please don't shoot me. I'm just asking if there's some type of quick fix, like a rub-on gel stain, etc. I could apply (without having to strip each of the 30 some odd pieces to each table) to take a little of the reddish hue away and darken them up? Short of spray painting them brown. Suggestions please to salvage my online bargains.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novice just asking--anything to tone down a 'cherry' finish?

There are two such products:

One is a "green blocker" aerosol. Green is the color opposite of red so applying it will kill some of the red and move toward brown. VERY VERY LIGHT coats of this, sneaking up on the color. It's better to have to apply a number of light coats than to get too much on all at once.

Another is a greenish glaze. The standard green used for this is raw umber. You wipe it on, manipulate to your liking, let it dry, then top coat with a compatible finish (most likely a lacquer).

These are both professional products and you are not likely to find them at Home Depot or such.

If I was refinishing a piece, I'd probably use the glaze, but if I'm touching up something and need a quick repair, I'd go with the aerosol. Did I mention really light coats?

Here is a link that might be useful: aerosol blocker

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here