Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help stain door repair (maple) to match black walnut door

Posted by bostonpam (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 19:33

I have a 6 panel black walnut door. The stripper thought it was from the late 1700's to early 1800's (different from most of my other doors in my 1825 house). Prior to 1914 the hinges were moved to the other side of the door and the 1st side broke. That side of the door was painted so they replaced the black walnut with maple (about a 4" x5" flat triangle). I'm going to finish the whole door with Waterlox - no paint. How do I stain that repaired section so it may look a little closer in color to the black walnut? Is it a losing battle? Any other words of wisdom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help stain door repair (maple) to match black walnut door

To get color you could use Mohawk Ultra Classic Toner aerosol spray. If all finish is remover from the wood you could use a waterbased analine dye.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here