Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Oak? This is worth a look.

Posted by athomesewing (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 19:32

I just ran across a product (I am a member here, not a salesman) that seems like it would do a great job at grain filling, which was my concern when I considered painting our oak cabinets. I know there is another product recommended, however that one I've heard is very tough to sand (hard). This product looks easy to apply, easy to sand. It comes in colors, or in a neutral tint base that will take ANY stain (water or oil base) or paint color and any finish topcoat.

It's called Timermate. I'm going to get some tomorrow for a woodworking project (we're making a mantle shelf). Anyway, just something you may want to investigate, it looks promising.

There are three videos about it here on the left, the one in the middle shows an example of coloring Timbermate and using it for grain filling:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020580/22723/Timbermate-Wood-Filler-Water-Based-8oz-Natural.aspx?ss=c9b51395-11a1-46cc-9b2e-4ba636fae25e#Videos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Oak? This is worth a look.

Paste wood fillers have been around a long time.

A water based one is going to cause problems with grain fuzzing.

PORE-O-PAC by Behlen has been the standard for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: PORE-O-PAC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here