Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banquette and geometry

Posted by joeboldt (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 19:14

I'm building a banquette (or booth) off of my kitchen. Originally, I was going to make an oval booth with the back rest slanted. I planned on constructing a frame out of 3/4" plywood then building up layers of 1/8" bending plywood for the back rest. I've since come across the marvel of bent plywood which comes in a size I could use (in this case I need 2 - quarter circles with a radius of 4'-0") The problem I'm having, is figuring out how to cut it so the slope of the back rest is 7 degrees all the way around. There must be som e geometric formula somewhere that explains something like this, but I can't find it.

Any thoughts?

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banquette and geometry

You are making a segmented and truncated cone shape. There may even be a calculator online. You'd input the upper and lower radii, and the height, and it would spit out the radii of the arcs on the flat material (before bending). Seems like a simple thing for a spreadsheet to do.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: a formula

o
RE: Banquette and geometry

Hey, thanks. That helps a lot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here