Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Refinishing

Posted by magee_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 19, 09 at 18:47

I have some window trim that had water damage. With sanding, I was able to get it so that it looked almost like new. But then I applied a lacquer to it, and the lacquer made the sanded parts much richer in color (drew out the natural color of the wood more than the original finish). The match is terrible. I don't know what the original finish is. What finish will maintain the color/shade as close to the unfinished wood as possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Refinishing

Any finish I know will alter the looks in some way; some will add depth, some will give a "wet" look, some will amber, some will darken. It all depends on the wood and the finish.

o

Sand the lacquer a bit and apply a coat of oil based varnish. That is what many builders used on trim.

o

It might help if you posted some pictures of both the problem area and an area of originally finished, undamaged wood too, as similarly lighted as possible.

What sort of "lacquer," exactly, did you use? The term is misused a lot, or at least used differently in different parts of the world. Brand? Product name?

I usually think of acrylic water-based finishes as having minimal effect on the appearance of wood. Oil-based finishes typically enrich and yellow the colors. WB acrylics don't have that native yellowing tendency. Unfortunately, some cheaper WB acrylics (such as Minwax poly-acrylic, last time I used it) go the other way, and have a bluish cast that can be unattractive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here