Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to split wide wood planks?

Posted by lilafter (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 18:00

in process of designing a fence and driveway gate.

i have a lot of redwood planks 1x12x6 that could be used.

but rather than using the planks in 12" widths set vertically, i'd like to split it into 2" or 3" and 6" widths and set it horizontally along a metal frame (either chain link or steel)

i do like the roughness of grape vine stakes. i'm wondering if i can take an ax or other manual splitting tool to cut into the smaller planks. or use a table saw???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to split wide wood planks?

By splitting with an ax, the split will follow the path of least resistance and unlikely to be a straight line.

With care, a circular saw or table saw will give you a nice, straight rip line. If you want a more rustic edge, I'd suggest a band saw or a hand-held sabre saw.

o
RE: how to split wide wood planks?

Yep, unless the wood is fairly clear (free of knots) and
straight grained then it will not split very nicely.

The tool you want to do this with is called a froe.
It is used predominately for splitting cedar shake shingles.
This is not the only tool that will do it, but the easiest.

Pooh Bear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here