Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Cabinet Staining/Faux Painting

Posted by sandh (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 17:52

We are remodeling our kitchen cabinets, currently stained a pickled gray color. We would like to change the color to a wood-grain medium brown. We've been told we must essentially "start from scratch" -- i.e., sand down to the bare wood and then stain the desired color, if we want to achieve this result. However, we've also been advised that there is a faux painting process that allows one to simply do a light sanding, and then apply a gel stain in sufficient coats to achieve the desired finish.

If anyone is aware of this latter technique and can explain how to use it, your help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Cabinet Staining/Faux Painting

What you are describing is a glazing process. I use glazes a lot, but there is a limit how far you can move a color before it starts to look opaque and painted. So yes, you could get it "medium brown" but you will probably need enough "sufficient coats" to loose most of the "wood grain."

You can also do graining with a graining tool. This requires an opaque base coat and a darker graining coat. While it looks good from a distance, up close you can usually tell it's not wood grain. If the cabinets are already oak, you are going to be fighting the oak's natural pore structure.

"Sanding down to bare wood" is an extremely poor way to strip finish unless you are doing a floor and taking off significant wood. It will go through a lot of sandpaper, risks sanding through veneer or obliterating details, and will not uniformly or completely remove the old finish. IF the cabinets are anything but all flat, you will have a hard time getting into details. And it will literally take hours and hours. Better to use a chemical stripper.

Here is a link that might be useful: glazing

o

bobsmyuncle, thanks for posting that link. I have a bookcase I'm thinking of glazing, and I didn't realize that glaze had to be applied on top of a sealant, to keep it from acting like a stain.

o

Another quick tip from the finishing guru, Bob Flexner

Here is a link that might be useful: Strip, don't sand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here